Installing Wireless Network Adapter on Kali Linux:
Kali Linux is a popular distribution for ethical hacking and penetration testing. In order to perform wireless penetration testing, you will need a wireless network adapter that supports monitor mode and packet injection.
Here are the steps to install a wireless network adapter on Kali Linux:
- Choose a compatible wireless network adapter. Some popular options include the Alfa AWUS036NHA, TP-Link TL-WN722N, and the Panda PAU05.
- Connect the adapter to your Kali Linux system. If you are using a laptop, you may need to use an USB extension cable to ensure the adapter has a good connection.
- Check if the adapter is recognized by the system by running the command “lsusb” in the terminal.
- Install the necessary drivers for the adapter by running the command “apt-get install firmware-linux-nonfree”.
- Put the adapter into monitor mode by using the command “airmon-ng start wlan0” (assuming “wlan0” is the name of your adapter).
- Confirm that the adapter is in monitor mode by running the command “airmon-ng” and checking if the status of the adapter is “monitor”.
- You can now use the adapter for wireless penetration testing using tools such as Aircrack-ng, Wireshark, and Reaver.
Installing Wireless Network Adapter on Android Phones:
Most modern Android phones come with built-in wireless adapters that can be used for wireless penetration testing. However, these adapters are often limited in their capabilities and may not support monitor mode and packet injection.
One solution is to use an external wireless adapter that can be connected to the Android phone via USB. You can use the same adapters mentioned above for Kali Linux.
Here are the steps to install an external wireless network adapter on an Android phone:
- Choose a compatible wireless network adapter and an OTG (On-The-Go) cable.
- Connect the adapter to the Android phone using the OTG cable.
- Download and install an app such as “AndroDumpper” or “Aircrack-ng” from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app and check if the adapter is recognized and functioning properly.
- You can now use the adapter for wireless penetration testing on your Android phone.
Note: It is important to be aware of the legal implications of using wireless adapters for penetration testing. Always obtain proper authorization before testing the security of any wireless network.